Motorhome & Recreational Vehicle Resource

Since 1996

Search RV-Coach Online

Email Author email Marty  Reply to Message reply to message  Post New Message post new message      search forums
All Postings that advertise items for sale will be deleted from the Discussion Forum. You may post sale items for free in the Classifieds section. Sign up now.
All Messages in ThreadAuthorDate
Party Bus Questions Marty 8-8-05  
A friend of mine and I are considering converting a school bus into a party bus to make some extra $ on the side. This is in the very early stages but I thought I'd try a few questions on you guys and see if you could help.

1) Would we need a special license to drive the bus if we are going to transport people?

2) Is insuring the bus going to be difficult?

3) How do school buses drive in the snow?
Re: Party Bus Questions Phil Feinstein 8-9-05  
To answer your questions:

1) Yes; you would be a commercial vehicle carrying passengers as a "For Hire", so you would need to have a class "B" CDL license as well as a Taxi or Limo license.

2) Yes; if you are a "Party bus" you will need clearances to operate as Livery *AND* as a Nightclub. This may prove to be impossible depending on what part of the country you are located in. If you allow alcohol to be consumed on your bus, you will need to meet very strict requirements for passenger seperation from the driver (like a Limo)

3) Slowly

Hope that helps!
Re: Party Bus Questions lu 8-9-05  
I just stumbled on this site and thought I'd chime in since I'm a school bus driver. I've driven Thomas and Bluebird.

The rear engine Thomas goes great in the snow. We have snow training every year and get to slide these things around and see how they handle. I am not nearly as comfortable driving the bluebird in the snow. It is big and does well, but does not handle as well. Don't get stuck on a hill!

We can drive people that drink on our busses. I work for a contractor so I'm not sure if they have specific licenses for that sort of thing or not. We do a lot of charters.
Re: Party Bus Questions Phil Feinstein 8-10-05  
Thanks Lu!

I agree; The contractor has the liability insurance as well as the Livery license so all you need to bring to the party is your CDL. On the East coast, this designation would be "Omnibus" and it would say so on the tags.
Required fields in red
For more info about a field, place your mouse over the More Info icon.
Your Name:
Your Email:

Code is case-sensitive. Helps stop SPAM.

Advertise Here
Get Media Kit NOW!

Get Media Kit to Advertise!

Advertiser Links

Back to Top