Motorhome & Recreational Vehicle Resource

Since 1996

Search RV-Coach Online

Email Author email UptheCreekDick  Reply to Message reply to message  Post New Message post new message      search forums
All Postings that advertise items for sale will be deleted from the Discussion Forum. You may post sale items for free in the Classifieds section. Sign up now.
All Messages in ThreadAuthorDate
New York State School Bus Conversion UptheCreekDick 6-14-05  
I live in upstate New York and purchased a school bus from a local school district. The plan is to convert it into a motohome for hunting trips and occassional camping. Anyone out there that lives in New York that has jumped through hoops at the DMV for changing the title. Also any info
on insurance companies. The bus is a 66 passenger w/air brakes.
Re: New York State School Bus Conversion jstephens 6-20-05  
I'm in Upstate doing a similar project. We were fortunate enough to find an old school band equipment bus to convert, but can't find insurance, yet. As for DMV in Cooperstown they said that after seats are removed, etc. have it weighed and then bring pictures to show that it no longer has the capability to transport students. Also, the weight has to be under 18,000 lbs. for you to drive with a D class license. Still need to find out if we have to have special licensing for air brakes -- not sure yet...js
Re: New York State School Bus Conversion upthecreekdick 6-21-05  
Thanks jstephens I live north of Utica NY. I spent over an hour at the Utica DMV and had them people totally confused to the point that the supervisor had to call Albany but I finally got the straight scoop. The lady was super nice and was very, very patient with me. Number one, there are (6) issues and any 4 of the 6 need to be completed in order for New York State to re-title a School Bus to a MotorHome. No photos or documentation are required although all receipts should be retained for your insurance company to place a value on your project As for the insurance I had no problem with my insurance company for a temp policy to drive the bus home from where I bought it. I got a 30 day In-Transit plate for $10.00 @ the DMV and drove it home legally. You are correct about the weighing as I was told the same. I've done some research on the NET and it seems that GMAC will insure Skoolies, at what price I don't know. Hope this helps you a bit and again TKs....upthecreekdick..............
Re: New York State School Bus Conversion Dave Pelletier 3-25-14  
I have a 10 seater and took out 8. Added the couch, fridge, table and TV and am setting up an AC inverter system to tun everything. I have a 1200 watt inverter, that should be enough.

Im having trouble finding an insurance providor, does anyone have any ideas?

Also, what about invertor power, I have 1200 watts I beleive do you beleive that would be enough for a simple RV conversion?

Thanks for any advice
Only 5 Hours. Get 41% Off Samuelrhism 12-19-17  
Hyaluronic Acid for Skin - 100% Pure Medical Quality Clinical Strength Formula
Re: New York State School Bus Conversion Joanne 5-1-18  
Where in NYS can I find one who can raise the roof on,my bus?
Re: New York State School Bus Conversion Rob 11-3-14  
Hey, I just bought a 60 person school bus with air brakes. I am going to start converting it soon. Does anyone have advice on insurance or dmv? I have a cdl license with airbrake endorsement.
Required fields in red
For more info about a field, place your mouse over the More Info icon.
Your Name:
Your Email:

Code is case-sensitive. Helps stop SPAM.

Advertise Here
Get Media Kit NOW!

Get Media Kit to Advertise!

Advertiser Links

Back to Top