Motorhome & Recreational Vehicle Resource

Since 1996

Search RV-Coach Online

Email Author email Jeff  Reply to Message reply to message  Post New Message post new message      search forums
All Postings that advertise items for sale will be deleted from the Discussion Forum. You may post sale items for free in the Classifieds section. Sign up now.
All Messages in ThreadAuthorDate
General Info - Conversion Jeff 1-16-04  
Some of my friends and I are thinking about converting a school bus into something we can take on road trips. (I live in DE)

1. How would I have to register it? Do all conversions get registered as an RV?
2. What license would I need? Is a Class D acceptable? Can my friends drive it?
3. Roughly how much is insurance?
4. Any other general info is appreciated.

Re: General Info - Conversion Mark O. 1-16-04  
As long as enough seats have been removed so that your bus no longer seats more than 15 passengers, including the driver, you won't need any sort of special license.

Registering and licensing your bus as an RV will be necessary for you to be able to get RV insurance. Your local state licensing department will be your best resource to determine what exactly is necessary.

A few general things have to be done, besides the removal of most of the seats, to make your bus into an RV. Again, deneding upon your jusidiction, some sort of kitchen and sleeping area needs to be installed. It can be pretty basis to start with in order to get yourself licensed and registered as an RV. One of the more important things you will need to do is to repaint the bus something besides national school bus chrome yellow.

Good luck and happy trails.

Mark O.
Required fields in red
For more info about a field, place your mouse over the More Info icon.
Your Name:
Your Email:

Code is case-sensitive. Helps stop SPAM.

Advertise Here
Get Media Kit NOW!

Get Media Kit to Advertise!

Advertiser Links

Back to Top