Motorhome & Recreational Vehicle Resource

Since 1996

Search RV-Coach Online

Email Author email Casper  Reply to Message reply to message  Post New Message post new message      search forums
All Postings that advertise items for sale will be deleted from the Discussion Forum. You may post sale items for free in the Classifieds section. Sign up now.
All Messages in ThreadAuthorDate
How do I get it home? Casper 9-16-03  
Ok, here's something I've been wondering about for a while. Say I go to the bus auction, and it's out of state (Maybe Pittsburgh PA for example, I'm in Ohio). I lay out my $1,500 and get the 72 pax - cummins - 5 speed of my dreams. I hand them the money and they give me a title and/or bill of sale. Now what?

I know that once I get an Ohio title with "Body style = RV" on it I can drive it, but until then it's still a school bus. I don't have the CDL for a school bus. How do I get the big yellow sucker home?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks,

Re: How do I get it home? Mark O. 9-19-03  
You will need to find someone who has a CDL with a passenger endorsement to drive the bus home.

You can risk driving it home yourself but you risk a sizeable ticket if you get caught. At most auctions, the local constabulary usually post members of their force along the egress routes in order to find violaters of all sorts of misdemeanors.

Most auctions will have vendor kiosks, such vendors willing to provide all sorts of services including delivery of your purchase to your location. Failing that, most auctions will give you a reasonable amount of time to remove your purchase. Such time should be time enough for your to find someone in your sphere of known individuals who knows someone who has the proper licenses and would be willing to drive your purchase home.

Good luck.

Mark O.
Re: How do I get it home? Casper 9-19-03  
Thanks Mark,

That's what I was afraid of. I was hoping someone had a little trade secret of some sort, but it's not sounding that way. I can find a driver, but I'll have to add $100 to the budget huh?

Re: How do I get it home? John the busboy 9-20-03  
If you are not going to use it as a school bus, then you don't need a CDL. It is a private vehicle not a commercial one.

Before you take it for inspection remove most of the seats to make it obvious that it is not intended for us as a bus.

BUT if it has air brakes you may need an Air Brake Endorsement on your current drivers license. Don't know if this is true for all states.

John the busboy
Re: How do I get it home? Mark O. 9-25-03  
John the Busboy is correct when he says you will not need a CDL if the seats are pulled out but that only applies if the GVWR of the vehicle is under 26,000 lbs. If the GVWR of the bus is over 26,001 lbs. you will need a CDL regardless of how many seats are on the bus.

The only time you will not need a CDL is if the bus has been converted to an RV. Removal of all of the seats is not enough in most jurisdictions to change the use class.

He is also correct when he says in some jurisdictions you may need to have an air brake endorsement on your license if your bus has air brakes.

Good luck and happy trails.

Mark O.
Re: How do I get it home? jason 12-25-03  
I was lucky, only had to drive my bus 10 miles to get it home
Required fields in red
For more info about a field, place your mouse over the More Info icon.
Your Name:
Your Email:

Code is case-sensitive. Helps stop SPAM.

Advertise Here
Get Media Kit NOW!

Get Media Kit to Advertise!

Advertiser Links

Back to Top